DAY 6 | SUNDAY, MAY 8
In an effort to keep it light over the weekend, I thought I would share some of the insights, memorable moments and thoughts that otherwise struck me as amazing. This week was so good, I’m not sure how Chase is going to top this!
Here are some highlights from the first week on my road to becoming a genius!
DAY 1 – MARK CUBAN
- Know what you are good at, mediocre at, and bad at then find people who compliment those abilities.
- There are a lot of things we cannot control, the one thing you can control is your effort.
- The key to risk is to be as prepared as you can, to know as much as you possible can. Know everything that you can.
- Do something rather than nothing, just start creating.
DAY 2 – SETH GODIN
- The best way to be doing something ten years from now is to do something TODAY.
- What often stops us is fear about taking the first step. He gave a great analogy here and said most people don’t want to get on the ship, because they are afraid of the shipwreck.
- The narrative or voice in our head is toxic to our creativity.And we often will go to this place as a place to hide.
- The key questions we need to ask ourselves when it comes to work or life is “What Am I doing this for?”
- In many of the thing we endeavour to do, we are just not that good at. It’s a mistake to fool ourselves into thinking we are good at them. But if we dig deeper in the stuff that truly matters, you might earn recognition.
- Being interesting is the point!
- Be more generous, lead people to where they want to go, bring dignity to people who need it and do it today!
DAY 3 – MARIE FORLEO
- On intuition – listen to that little voice in your head. It will tell you things throughout your life, it speaks quietly. The more you listen, the louder it gets, the more you trust it. Never betray that voice.
- EVERYTHING IS FIGURE-OUT-ABLE – use creativity, think outside the box.
- Just do it. If you fail – who cares?
- Fear is our biggest blocker – the fear of being judged especially.
- Lack of clarity stops people from moving ahead.
- Set direction for your life rather than live by default.
- DO YOU, DO YOU HARD (I friggin love this!).
- Don’t feel creative? Then start to play. We are all born creative.
- CREATE BEFORE YOU CONSUME.
DAY 4 – TIM FERRIS
- When your just staring out, set low goals. This will build momentum and confidence. It will feel like willing and is the precursor to winning. By doing this you are rigid it in such a way that you don’t put it off.
- Celebrate small wins.
- Seek out and create the absurd. As adults we are trained to be way too serious, this is kryptonite for creativity.
- The mask people wear often tell us more about who they are then “the truth”.
- Wake up earlier – make time, don’t find it.
- The voices or narrative in our head have us constantly in a state of comparing and contrasting. Recognize the triggers (for examples phrases like “I am ____” or “I always _______”) and don’t retreat into the stories we tell ourselves.
- You’ll never influence the world by trying to be like it – be different, be better, keep it fun for yourself.
- Always remember you are not your job. The moment we completely identify ourselves with something, such as our jobs, we lose the ability to take risks or to be detached. remembering i’m not my job.
- Creativity has no guarantees – it’s about risk.
- Create a sustainable life.
- Bring joy into everything you do
- Our best ideas come from stillness. Stillness is the place from which we create.
DAY 6 – LEVAR BURTON
- Decisions guided by passion are the key to what will make you happy.
- Listen to your gut, the universe delivers, be open to it.
- Sitting around waiting for the opportunity is giving the power to other people. Get busy. Become your own advocate.
- There has been a democratization of content creation. We don’t require permission to create something.Do something. Start creating. Start participating.
- We all have the wherewithal and capability to share our story and we all have a remarkable story within ourselves to tell.
- DO THE WORK – HUSTLE. Hustle is a sign of how passionate you are about getting it done. WHERE IS YOUR HUSTLE GAME?
- Be honest with yourself – are you doing everything you tell yourself you are to get things done? If not make adjustments or you’re just screwing around.
- Commit completely to learn about yourself.
- YOU CAN’T CHANGE THE WORLD FROM AN ABSENTEE POINT OF VIEW.
- You have to expose yourself to enough experiences before you find out where you land, you can never predict the end of the story from the first chapter.
DAY 7 – STEFAN SAGMEISTER
- Design something that helps/delights somebody else.
- You and only you are the world’s #1 expert on your own happiness.
- The path to where we want to go comes from a million directions. It’s important to have paths of nothingness on this path to leave opportunity for redirection.
- The thing you are the most scared of can be your biggest asset.
- Be a changer vs. stay-the-samers
- How do you develop a personal style for what you do – BY NOT WORRYING ABOUT IT.